Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Installing JDK in OpenVZ VPS

I started playing with OpenVZ today because I'm getting terrible performance from QEMU+KQEMU and various Java applications.

I had some trouble installing the JDK inside my VPS, and the problem cost me about an hour so I figured I'd share. I'm running OpenVZ from a pretty bare Ubuntu Hardy server, and the VPS was created from ubuntu-8.04-i386-minimal.tar.gz which I downloaded from the OpenVZ site.

When I'd try to install the Sun JDK or OpenJDK via apt-get, I'd get the following error:

Setting up sun-java6-bin (6-06-0ubuntu1) ...
Aborted
dpkg: error processing sun-java6-bin (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 134
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sun-java6-jre:
sun-java6-jre depends on sun-java6-bin (= 6-06-0ubuntu1) | ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-06-0ubuntu1); however:
Package sun-java6-bin is not configured yet.
Package ia32-sun-java6-bin is not installed.
dpkg: error processing sun-java6-jre (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sun-java6-jdk:
sun-java6-jdk depends on sun-java6-bin (= 6-06-0ubuntu1); however:
Package sun-java6-bin is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing sun-java6-jdk (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-jdk
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Turns out it's just a resource problem. If you're getting this error, check /proc/user_beancounters and see if you're getting any failures:

cat /proc/user_beancounters
101: kmemsize 625164 1720287 11055923 11377049 0
lockedpages 0 0 256 256 0
privvmpages 1173 129807 131072 139264 2
As you can see I was having problems with the limit on privvmpages. I doubled the default twice before it worked, resulting in a barrier of 262144 and a limit of 278528. You can change these values like so:

vzctl set 101 --privvmpages 262144:278528 --save

2 comments:

jett said...

Thank you for sharing this!

I've been struggling these past few days to figure out what was going on. Even destroyed my old container (on which I was able to make it work a month ago) and created a new one just to see what was wrong. Turns out I changed the memory settings on that other one before I installed the JDK.

Virtual Private Server said...

It seems very improbable.